Kartoffelgratin tastes good because of one thing: Butterfat. It’s a cheesy, creamy, more cheesy, buttery dish.
This is not a recipe you put out for people who are on some sort of diet.
What it is is the best cheesy potato side you will ever eat in your life.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 2 cups total of a mixture of Asiago, Provolone, and Gruyere (or Emmenthaler.)
- 1/4 cup of Grated Parmesan for top
- Paprika for top